Friday, December 04, 2009

Worst Hire in the History of Jobs

Earlier in the semester we talked briefly about what qualifies someone as an expert and makes them a credible source to talk publicly about a certain topic. As some of you probably know, I am a slightly obsessive Detroit/Michigan sports fan, so you can imagine the feelings that bubble up every time I turn on a football game on ESPN, whether it be college or NFL, and I see Matt Millen's ugly mug looking back at me. For those of you who don't know Millen was the President and CEO of the Detroit Lions from 2000-2008 during which time he oversaw the worst eight year record (31-97) in NFL history since WWII. During his time with the Lions he was responsible for some of the most horrendous draft picks known to mankind (most of them high first round picks who are no longer even in the NFL) as well as the first 0-16 season in NFL history. Now I admit I'm a little biased, but I still can't fathom how a network such as ESPN and NBC, during last years Super bowl, could look at this mans record and decide that he's the right person to speak knowledgeably on a topic he has proven he knows nothing about. The only people in the TV business who seemed to recognize this were the fine folks at the NBC Detroit affiliate who every time Millen appeared on the screen during the Super Bowl broadcast scrolled the following warning label across the bottom of the screen, "Matt Millen was president of the Lions for the worst eight-year run in the history of the NFL. Knowing his history with the team, is there a credibility issue as he now serves as an analyst for NBC Sports?" It seems to be a question that the network executives should have been asking but for some reason never did. So I end by saying thank you to ESPN for ruining every football game that Millen is part of the broadcast team for. In the interest of keeping my TV in one piece I find myself forced to either change the channel or, at the very least, mute the commentary of the worst hire in the history of jobs.

No comments: