Friday, December 08, 2006

Grammys

Of the three main award shows (Oscars, Emmys and Grammys), the Grammys have to be the worst. If they are not, then someone has to explain to me how artists like Regina Spektor get the shaft while The Pussycat Dolls get recognized. And, why does Justin Timberlake get nominated for best album every time he puts one out? There is certainly a lot worse out there, but I highly doubt that every single album he puts out is one of the top five masterpieces of music that this entire country was able to muster over the course of the year.

Back when Gwen Stefani was making decent music with No Doubt, that band hardly ever got recognized. Last year, Stefani got a bundle of nominations for her ridiculously boring, conventional and shallow solo pop album. I guess spelling the word "bannanas" over and over goes over well with the people who vote for these things.

If I was an artist in the music industry today and I got nominated for a Grammy, I would take that as an indication I was doing something very, very wrong.

No comments: