Friday, October 27, 2006

You is Killing MTV

I really think that Youtube, is becoming the new MTV. Numerous bands have begun uploading their videos onto Youtube. Big, small, just starting bands are all getting there video on to the site. Giving access to many thousands of viewers. I was reviewing the new “the Hold Steady” album for the Post this week. Having only seen this band live in concert and on Conan O’Brien. I wondered if they had any Music video that could potentially play on MTV that is if MTV actually played videos now a day.
What I was amazed to find is that the band had loaded quit a few video that were made from all there albums, even before they broke on to the indie scene.
As of recently I notice on the side bar of Youtube that each day they feature a new music video. Useless garbage paid for buy the record labels, yet I though, maybe it a little more no corporate than I thought.
I know that music videos have been on the net for many years now, but I think Youtube and it scope is just the best format for them. Because, anyone can post a video this can really help to boost a local band. Think about how fast a band would be signing if their video became a big hit on Youtube.
Music videos are Youtube are more of a promotional device than ever, where MTV just played what they thought everyone want, Youtube plays what will most likely become the next big thing.

No comments: