Wednesday, January 23, 2008

u boob/facehook

Tried to tune in to WUWM for my daily dose of the news but, as usual, signal problems. I was only able to catch about 1/2 hour or so.
Caught "The News Hour with Jim Lehrer" to complete my nightly news ritual. Saw an ad for "Frontline" after the news. Sounded interesting so I stayed tuned to an hour of "Growing up online. Internet and teens".
Interesting though it was I don't get it. It seemed to me these kids were putting the reality of their actual life on hold to construct a virtual life on one of of these facebook style websites and assuming an identity they'd rather be known by.
Isn't this a form of self delusion? Can this be a healthy recreation? Where are the benefits?
It was an all consuming addiction for the kids featured on the show. Is this activity what the average American teen uses for entertainment. Are these kids normal?
I wonder if the energy, concentration and creativity involved in the construction of these alternate ID's wouldn't serve the person better if used to improve their real lives.

No comments: