Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Writer’s Strike: When Will It End??

If someone asked me what my guilty pleasure was I would definitely have to say television shows. I am hooked on more than I'd even like to admit. But lately, most of my beloved shows have not been back on for almost two months! And there's really only one explanation: the ongoing Writers Guild of America Strike.

I have a good friend who moved out to Hollywood last year to attempt his dreams of becoming an actor. And on a side note, he's actually gotten some cool gigs already. Either way, he tells me that the writer's strike costs the state of California $22 million a day! And this has been going on for months. So when are they finally going to crack?

And let's not forget the embarrassing incidents at the People's Choice and Golden Globe Awards where no one showed. Hollywood has got to be getting pretty nervous about the Academy Awards if the strike continues.

I think it really says something about the blatant greed involved with this industry when even the actors respond to the WGA's protest and still nothing is done. In fact, The Screen Actors Guild have recently made clear that they are not happy with the DGA's tentative deal, and frustrations are mounting. Today is the 87th day of the strike.

There have been talks about hopefully resolving issues with the WGA mid-February with the Oscars at stake, and certain companies have been making their own deals with the WGA aside from larger negotiations. But others are still pretty nervous. All I know is I miss my shows!!

Variety online has full coverage of the WGA strike...all 87 days of it.

No comments: