Friday, December 07, 2007

Holiday Television

With the Holidays around the corner, television is accommodating the long-time tradition of Christmas specials. After Macy's Thanksgiving day parade, people flock toward their t.v. guides to distinguish when they're favorite Christmas movies will be on.

In my family, this is almost a religious practice. My Dad goes on the Internet and plans out when all the "good" movies will be on and what station. UsuallyABC delivers the greats.

Our choices include these classics:
  • 1946 It's a Wonderful Life
  • (TV) 1964 Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • 1966 Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas
  • 1969 Frosty the Snowman
  • 1970 Santa Claus is Coming to Town
  • 1974 The Year Without a Santa Claus
These are just some of the Christmas Specials my family enjoys. What makes these so special to us is that they play a sort of tradition. My Dad was fascinated with these movies, because he passed on his movie love to me, I can't get enough either.

It's funny though... We do not own these on VHS or DVD. Sometimes I wouldn't mind watching them in the summer, but then I feel they would lose their Christmas luster.

With the popularity of DVD's growing more and more rapidly, it is not ridiculous to understand that these TV classics would soon dive into the majority mass media circuit, but I find it very refreshing to know that they still are played on television, obviously around the same time of year. Then again, I can only imagine what type of ratings these shows produce for their networks!

No comments: