Friday, April 06, 2007

Craigslist

I was just introduced to Craigslist one month ago. My friends acted as though I was quite out of it for not using it and knowing about it already. I must say this is one of the fastest, free and dangerous services available online. For anyone who doesn't know about Craigslist, it's a website where you can buy/sell/trade anything from a tube of lipstick to a house. But the best part about it is when you post an ad you are doing so without using any personal info. When someone responds you then have their email and can correspond accordingly.

So I was watching the news and this middle aged lady was quite upset. Turns out someone who did not like her too much put an ad on Craigslist pertaining to her deceased mothers house that she owned. They told all Craigslisters of the address and said everything in the house is up for grabs, feel free to break in if it's locked and take anything that you want. Free. Amazingly a number of people did just that. Pictures of the house on the news were horrendous. Thousands and thousands of dollars of items were stolen, everything was gone and the house was violently vandalized. I'm not sure if they found the suspects or not but because of the annonymous nature of Craigslist this might be hard. If they had used a public computer at a library, school or cafe they are laughing now.

Craigslist isn't always bad. When my TV broke a few weeks ago I found myself on Craigslist checking out TV's and prices. You can barter on prices or advertise what you are willing to pay. Upon looking at prices I decided that I didn't want to pay anything at all, but I still wanted a TV. So I put up my own ad "Cute girl needs TV" and I wanted it free. I did make up a small story about my boyfriend breaking up with me and taking the TV but it was all in good fun. You can probably still find my ad. I had quite a few interesting responses. But finally a man from Waukesha said he had a 20 inch color TV, for free. To be safe I went with my brother to a Target parking spot for the pick up. Yes I was a bit apprehensive and had I heard more horror stories about Craigslist I might not have been there. But it worked and the sweet man handed over my TV that sits before me right now, for free.

No comments: