Friday, April 13, 2007

Grindhouse

Ok, I went to see the movie Grindhouse, the film by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. As you might expect with any film by these two, it had all the violence and gore you could ever want and more, as well as a nonsensical plot, although that was more in the first film, Planet Terror, by Robert Rodriquez. However, I was unprepared for all the talk in the film. As I was watching Tarantino's Death Proof, I wondered if he would ever get to the point. Of course I've never seen any of the old cheesy violent films they were paying homage to, but I definitely loved the the movie nevertheless. The film even had "missing reels" and fake trailers for movies such as a Thanksgiving horror movie, a haunted house film called Don't, and one fake that was actually called Werewolf Women of the SS (and it also had Nicholas Cage in a very fake Chinese-looking beard). I believe that Rolling Stone called it "the goriest chick flick ever," because women actually played some very prominent kick ass roles in it, especially near the end of Death Proof, where they decided to take revenge against the homicidal maniac that tried to kill them. (Of course, everyone already knows about the stripper with the machine gun for a leg right?) I can tell you, I thought that ending was one of the best I've ever seen. I think the people in the movie theater were actually cheering!!! I would definitely urge everyone to go see it.

No comments: