Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Running With Scissors

Last night I sat down to Running With Scissors and found myself growing crazier and anxious as the film progressed. While I'm not quite sure if I actually like the movie or not, I do have to say that the acting jobs were terrific.

The movie is based on the memoirs of Augusten Burroughs, who wrote the book, Running With Scissors. The movie revolves around the young boy, Augusten, who has to deal with an alcoholic father (played by Alec Baldwin) and a very unstable and selfish mother (Annette Bening). When Augusten's mother begins seeing a therapist, Dr. Finch (who is really crazy for being a psychologist), everything hits the fan. She and her husband get divorced, she begins taking the drugs that Dr. Finch prescribes her, and eventually gives her son up to live with Dr. Finch in a crazy bright pink house with his other insane children.

I don't really feel like going more in depth with the description, so you get the point. The movie is actually really funny but it's more of a humor that results from the characters' insanity and misfortunes. It's just really weird. It's one of those movies that if you checked out a second time you might enjoy it. or maybe not. I think I'll try reading the book.

No comments: