Friday, May 11, 2007

Digital Billboards

I had to do a reseach and analysis project for another one of my classes and our topic was digital billboards. Yeah, I've noticed them before but never really paid attention to them. I remember the first time I saw one. I was driving westbound on I94 and its' brilliant light and colors caught my eye. I remember the advertisement and I also remember thinking that I never really pay attention to any billboards. Throughout the study for this class project, I realized how innovative digital billboard advertising really is. Clear Channel was having problems leasing out their billboard spaces for their full, desired year, so now they are trying something new. In addition to the catch-your-eye look they give consumers as they walk and drive by, they're able to change pictures, allowing more than one advertiser to buy time on their boards. Another thing I learned was that they are a trial run right now. Only two cities in the United States currently have digital billboards in them and Clear Channel is trying to decide if they are effective or not. I think they're cool. Maybe they shouldn't be super close to one another on places like highways because people are going to start staring at them instead of watching the roads, but I think that in terms of outdoor advertising they are the way to go. They're so bright and noticable that people, like myself, remember what they've seen later on. I have a feeling more and more cities in the United States are going to start seeing the brilliant lights of digital billboards real soon.

No comments: