Friday, May 04, 2007

entertainers

I was reading the Rolling Stone once again, and it got me thinking yet again. (Damn that magazine.) It was their 40th anniversary edition, so of course they had interviews with Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Ringo Star, George McGovern, Norman Mailer, Patti Smith, Jane Fonda, and a bunch of other big names I can't remember. Whenever I read those I wonder what it was about them exactly that made them household names we'll remember. Other people probably played like they did, wrote like they did, did what they did, had the same ideas. It also makes me wonder what went on behind the scenes then and now, and how their music and personas were shaped exactly. Well, given the huge number of books about celebs I guess I'm not the only one who thinks about such things...at least now we've got Entourage to answer those questions! Not that I know if that show has any truth to it, but you gotta love a show like that which seems to answer some of the questions that people have about how Hollywood works and how it's shaped by the personalities, drives, and ambitions of the people there. Although I must admit, I think that nowadays the entertainment industry usually distracts us more than anything else.

No comments: