Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wikipedia

Today in my Communication class my TA discussed our papers that she returned and some people were very angry about their grades. She continued to discuss why people received bad grades and then went on a tangent about how to never use Wikipedia as a source and that its completely in accurate and useless. It made me angry and upset becuase for the past weeks we have been talking about how great and fastinating that everyday people are having a change to create media and contribute to things like Wikipedia. I wanted to lash out at her and tell her she was stupid for dismissing something that has the potential to be so great, so quickly. I also should have told her to talk visit my JMC 262 class and partiipate in our discussion about Wikipedia. Wikipedia has opened a whole new door of information on everything you can imagine. Yes it had its downfalls but I would say our traditional encyclopedia has numerous negative attributes as well. At least wikipedia has the potential to fix its mistakes immediately. So does my TA just believe the average person is not educated enough to supply information or maybe I should just explain to her how this is revolutionalizing information on the internet

No comments: