Friday, April 17, 2009

Susan Boyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

I was called into my mother's room tonight to watch a portion of "Britain's Got Talent," which is similar to American Idol here in the States. I had no idea that I was about to witness a very moving example of "don't judge a book by it's cover." Seriously, check out the link above, which I along with 16 million others have watched. Susan Boyle is a 47-year-old woman with amazing vocal talents that seems to have slipped through the cracks.

What I found interesting was how emotional the judges got, even the notoriously arrogant Simon. I have never sat through an entire episode of this type of show, but I must admit that my faith was put back into them (though I still won't sit through them) with this moment. Boyle simply kicked butt and took names. Her outward appearance would never lead anyone to guess at the talent within, and it is both her strength and weakness at the same time. Everyone in the audience went from rolling their eyes and scoffing at the prospect of this older woman getting up and singing to standing and cheering wildly. This is the kind of stuff movies are made out of, and it is quite worth the look.

No comments: