Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Clockwork Orange

Tonight was the second time that I watched the film "A Clockwork Orange". For those of you who haven't seen the movie, it is about a kid named Alex who is a violent juvenile in the near future. Alex is caught and arrested after a number of brutal rapes and murders. While imprisoned, he volunteers for an experimental brainwashing treatment to reform criminals in exchange for a shorter prison sentence. When he gets out, Alex is "reformed" and his victims want to welcome him back into society with the same enthusiasm Alex had always exhibited towards them when performing his crimes.

I origninally saw this film because many people have told me that it is probably one of the greatest films ever made. Also, Stanley Kubrick has made so many masterpieces, and is, in my opinion, a very talented director.

However, with all the perversity bursting out of this film, you will probably NOT like this film the first time you see it. I know I didn't. Fortunately tonight I gave it a second chance and I was at a loss for words. After seeing it again tonight there is no doubt that "A Clockwork Orange" is a masterpiece! Malcolm McDowell gives us a shining example of superior acting, and the plot addresses many real world issues superbly. The best part about the film is that it can be seen multiple times and every time a different perspective arises. It all boils down to serve you a plethora of thoughts for you to take with you and contemplate, after the film ends. I'm sure you'll agree, if you give it the chance it deserves, although it may require for you to see it more than once. Do it.

No comments: