Saturday, September 16, 2006

"What's the color of speed?"

How I love advertisements. It seems that the more advanced technology gets the more advertising agencies tend to put all of their profits into claiming more space in airtime. Television commercials are looking great, radio ads are sounding fantastic, and print ads...well, they're dumber than ever. Congratulations advertisers, you're breaking through the clutter and into the hearts of all of America by being the crappiest crap that anyone has ever seen. Now, I know that I shouldn't bash on all of advertising. Hell, it's what I want to do with the rest of my life. But I just really need to clarify something. "What's the color of speed?" Yes, I'm not grammatically incorrect by putting this lovely phrase into quotation marks for no reason, I just need everyone to know that this phrase is owned.
I was at Sears a couple days ago, waiting for my fiance to be done with work, so I decided to keep myself entertained by doing something that any obsessive compulsive person would do. I walked over to the paint department and started sorting out the color chips into their correct homes. After filling through the Barbie paints (thanks Matel, you really have outdone yourselves with that one) I happened upon the Hotwheels' colors. Winner white, Burnout blue, I really have no idea, I'm making these names up. Anyways, there before me was the pamphlet with all of the colors to choose from. And right there, in big bold letters was, "WHAT'S THE COLOR OF SPEED?" Immediately I had to laugh because I thought of all of these 8 year old boys snorting things and painting rooms. I mean, what the hell. I know that Hotwheels was trying to be creative, inventive, and catchy but please. It's advertisements like this that inspired me to be a copywriter. So thanks Hotwheels, for turning my boredom into something extremely entertaining.

No comments: