Monday, September 18, 2006

RAVE-a-palooza

Last week Wednesday I did something that was 2 months in the making: I saw Jack's Mannequin at the RAVE!!!!! (To recap: Jack's Mannequin is the side project of famous piano-punk band, Something Corporate, started by the singer of both, Andrew McMahon.) Most importantly I absolutely without a doubt LOVE them! (not to sound like a teeny-bopper groupie or anything!) I tried to go see them at Summerfest in July, but a sudden moonsoon caused me to hightail it back home, thus missing the show. However, Wednesday September 13th was a different story.....

My best friend, Katie, and I went to the RAVE (20th and Wisconsin) to finally see them (oh yeah, and we sorta dragged my boyfriend, Chris, along as well! ) The show was AMAZING. I'm sure you all have had experiences at concerts, sporting events, theatre, where the atmosphere is electric, the performance sublime, and you can do nothing else but take it in and loose your mind screaming. Well, that's how Jack's Mannequin was for me. I really wanted to tie this experience into media somehow, so I could write about it for this class (and maybe discover some other JM fans in the process), but I couldn't do what I really wanted to. Let me explain.....

At some point in the show, a girl in the front threw a fuzzy pink crown onto the stage. Andrew caught it, and placed in on his head. The whole room cheered, as he told us he expects to find footage of himself and the crown on youtube the next day. I searched youtube.com (my first look at the site), and found nothing of Andrew and his adorable pink fuzzy crown. Looking back, I think it's pretty funny how a celebrity can refference a web site, resulting in a roomful of cheering fans. It's amazing how much of media is shared by "famous people" and "the rest of us" on a daily basis. It's somewhat unifying, knowing that I can see Jack Mannequin's myspace, just as they could see mine (if they really wanted to).

So that's my tale of one of the best concerts I've seen in my life, and how I discovered how amazing youtube is in the process. I'm going to try and attach another video from there, but there's a good chance I'll mess it up. :-)
(can someone let me know if it fails?)

Until next time, keep on rockin' Milwaukee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtB7NBkGWEI

1 comment:

J.J. Andrews said...

Yeah, that monsoon at Summerfest...see, I was working in that. Outside. In a T-shirt. So you could have made it.

But yeah. I'll echo what's said here. As much as I dislike Andrew McMahon's work, Jack's Mannequin was pretty good live.