Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tabloids

So my older sister called me from FL last night and our conversation trailed to our usual unhealthy obsession; tabloid gossip. I'm still fixated on the Paris Hilton DUI scandal or a Brangelina fight here and there. But her conspiracy theories lie with the "suspiciously" labeled death of Anna Nicole's 20 year old son. I have to admit it is a pretty bizarre story with new details emergine daily. From what I understand, Anna's son Daniel died three days after his mother had a baby girl in her hospital room while he was asleep on chair next to his mother. Yes Anna has had her fair share of media stunts, many of which were not premeditated but instead inspired by drugs, alchohol or her unitelligent demeanor. My personal favorite was when she got up to present at a music award show and was completely whacked out on pills. She couldn't read the teleprompter and lets just say between her pills and lack of ability to think on the spot it was a train wreck. If you saw it then you know what I'm talking about. However, despite these bad career moves (I'm being nice) I am quite sure that she does not deserve the media circus that has began because of her son's death. People making jokes on late night TV shows and speculating whether she is to blame for putting him on medication is disgusting in my opinion. This is her son's death not a bad outfit. So my sister went on and on about all of the information that she knew and it occured to me that I had heard only 1/4th of what she was talking about. She barely took time to breath as she quoted information from Star Magazine, People, In Touch, Us, Life and Style and even the British magazine The Sun. "Betty" I asked, "do you buy each of these magazines on a weekly basis?" "Yes pretty much unless Tom Cruise is on the cover or something." "Betty" I said sharply, "do you realize that you are spending about 20 dollars a week, thats over a thousand dollars a year!?" There was silence on her side of the line until she reasoned "That is a lot of money but I give up other things so that I can keep buying my magazines, like by not getting car insurance". Wow isn't that a scary thought for the day.

No comments: