Tuesday, September 26, 2006

So I recently began a brand spanking new job at a very large, nation-wide home electronics store. Should I say the name? Is that allowed? Oh whatever, it's Best Buy. I absolutely love it there! I'm in the wireless department, meaning I get to play around with cell phones and I-pods all day (jealous? yeah you are). Now, as the obsessed owner of an I-pod, I noticed something a tad odd the other week at work......

We had just gotten the first shipment of the new Christmas items in the store (meaning the remodeled 2, 4, and 8 GB nanos, and the 80 GB video I-pods), and myself and a co-worker were given the exciting task of organizing and displaying them on the shelves. Typically on the I-pod cases is displayed a picture of the device itself with a band's cd in the screen (a very clever advertising ploy might I ad--touché, Apple). However, picking up on of the new 80 GB video cases, the very attractive face of Johnny Depp in Pirates II attire was staring back at me on the I-pod screen. I asked my co-worker why Mr. Depp was on the box--he doesn't sing anything. I was told that people can now download full length movies from I-Tunes.com (in addition to songs) for their video I-pods.

Aha! So Johnny Depp isn't promoting his latest album, he now has the ability to promote his new movie via the boxes for the thousands of new I-pods we'll sell. AND HOW IRONIC that this change in box design comes just in time for the holiday shopping season this year!!!!!! I bet that someone at Apple is reaping the benefits from a huge raise right now for coming up with that gem. Geez. Sometimes this industry is so simple it amazes me......so that means I'll be able to get a sweet job with no problem.....right Michael? :-)


1 comment:

michael said...

Unfortunately, I'm not the one who gives out the jobs :(

I knew which store it was because of the blue font.