Thursday, March 29, 2007

Last night, like every other Wednesday night, I plopped myself down in front of the TV at 7 p.m. to tune into The CW's "America's Next Top Model." This is my second year watching the show, and I have to say I really enjoy it!

I know what most people think about the show. "Oh, it's just a bunch of anorexic, stuck-up women who think they're better than everyone else." I've heard these comments from many people who may or may not have ever watched the show. Even some of you in this class may be opposed to the idea of selecting a woman to become the next "top model." But, there are some things about this particular season that I find to be empowering to the "average" woman, if you will.

For anyone who does not know the basics of America's Next Top Model, I'll give a little background. Model Tyra Banks hosts the show in which aspiring models live in a house together and compete against eachother through a series of challenges, most often difficult and demanding photo shoots. Each week the judges review the day's photos and ultimately send one woman packing at the end of the episode.

Most of the women on the show are tall, probably 5'10"-ish and have very small frames. I'd have to guess the average women on the show weighs 125 or so.

However, this season, Tyra Banks and those involved with casting selected two "plus size" models to compete also. These women are significantly bigger than the other women in the competition, yet they are just as beautiful and talented. One model, Whitney, said she wears a size 8. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, the average American woman wears a size 11-14. So, I don't necessarily agree that these women are "plus sized," but I am nonetheless proud that the show is beginning to represent women of all sizes.

This is really a huge accomplishment. I'm not saying that the thin women aren't average either. Women come in all shapes and sizes, and having confidence is yourself is what really makes you attractive. But, compared to the shrinking size of models nowadays, seeing a show representing women of different sizes, and even different races and ethnicities for that matter, is good for society.

As a result of watching this show, I've come to understand the modeling business a bit more. Instead of thinking of modeling as an easy endeavor, I've seen how difficult it is to convey an emotion for a photo just through your eyes. Seriously, look in the mirror and try to be happy without smiling-it isn't easy! (but it is pretty amusing)

I'd encourage people to check the show out if you don't already. I'm not saying it's a feminist revolution, but it's a good show that may keep you interested. It has all the drama and backstabbing of reality TV too, which is something we all love.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Watching this show is actually what made me stay tuned for "The Search for the Next Doll."

They've had a plus size model on every cycle since the second. However, they never win (and usually are kicked off relatively early). Also, their size is ALWAYS discussed... it's always an issue. "You have the perfect body, for your SIZE." "You have to work harder because of your SIZE." It seems as if subtle judgments still seep in that negate any good that can come from the show... However, I still like the show.