Sunday, March 04, 2007

Well, Why Don't You Google It?

I remember feeling really disturbed that bling bling was in the dictionary as a real, official word.

I also remember a few years back feeling confused about the term 'Google' as a verb. Come on, what's up with our language lately? We're just making up phrases now?

Oh, well, why don't you Google it?

Wait, what? Google can be a verb? Yes, it's quite common now. I find myself telling my friends to Google things all of the time. Usually, it's when we have a disagreement about music or a specific celebrity or information about school assignments.

Dude, just Google it. I know I'm right.

I have become increasingly accustomed to the verb. Because of my assimilation, I have also become increasingly annoyed with people who are not aware of or refuse to recognize Google's power.

Specifically, last week in a lecture of mine, students were asking the teacher questions about a project that is due. We could have saved half an hour by repeatedly saying: GOOGLE over and over.

Questions like:
-How do I find out how many calories are in an apple?
-How do I convert pounds to kilograms?
-What is a macronutrient?

Google Google Google. Honestly, it's not that difficult of a concept. I'm not trying to appear condescending, but we've all been exposed to Google. Just type in a question and have faith.

If you don't believe me, why don't you Google it?

1 comment:

michael said...

If Googling gets you nowhere, you can Wikipedia instead :)