Sunday, March 04, 2007

NBA live advertising

Earlier today I attended the Bucks game at the Bradley Center. They played the Bulls and lost in overtime unfortunately, but I noticed that there is so much more than just the game to watch when you're there. I mean they have cheerleaders, a band, competitions, interviews and fan cams on the jumbo-tron, but I really noticed the advertising. Sponsoring sporting events is a great from of advertising for companies. There is a huge continuous screen just above the luxious boxes, and when the ads changed they distracted me so much that I missed key plays in the game. Also, the backs of all the players chairs were covered with gadorade printed seat covers. McDonalds for sure sponsored the event tremendously because I came home with a french fry that was given to me during half-time that I waved in front of the Bulls' players while they tried to shoot free throws. The most entertaining advertisements of the day came from the mascots. Today was a mascot contest and there were characters all over the court from different businesses competing with one another to be the best mascot of the day. The ice cream cone from Culvers, the UPS guy, Ronald McDonald, an apple from Big Apple Bagels, and a can of Mountain Dew were just a few mascots that attended. Being an afternoon game, lots of parents brought their kids to the game and the kids picked their favorite mascots to root for. It was a really funny way to advertise products to those families. After the game, I walked down onto the court where all the children were able to meet the mascots of their favorite products. The advertising was very clever for today's game. Too bad the team lost.

No comments: