Friday, March 02, 2007

Tony Romo & Media Coverage

I am from Burlington, which is now more well know across the United States because of Dallas Cowboys football player Tony Romo. To me it is interesting to see how much someone’s life changes after they become a celebrity. Tony grew up in the same town as I did, he went to the same high school, and is even good friends with my cousins. He lived a normal life that any person living in a town of about 11,000 people does.

Then, Tony made the Dallas Cowboys team as a 3rd string player. He wasn’t famous in everyone’s eyes but was getting local fame around Burlington.

However, now that Tony is the first string quarterback it seems like his life has completely changed. He is constantly being covered by the media not just about his football career, but who is dating, what is he doing, etc. Just recently Tony returned home with his girl friend Carey Underwood to Burlington (or so I hear from the family gossip) and he could not even go out to eat during normal restaurant hours. Instead a local restaurant opened early just for him and his family to have dinner.

I think this is crazy. I mean five years ago most people didn’t even know who Tony Romo was and now the media are covering him so much he can even go out in public without worrying about being covered by the media.

I guess what I am getting at is how much should the media really cover these “celebrities” lives? I know everyone likes to watch shows the E! but do we really need to know about every meal they eat and everything they do?

No comments: