Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bonan O'Crien

Late Night with Conan O'Brien is one of my favorite talk shows. I always thought that hosting a show like that would be fun. I love being a goof, acting obnoxious, and being inappropriate. All the things that Conan is. Then I came to realize that there are really no talk shows like that with women hosting. Yes, Rosie O'Donnell (sp?) and Caroline Rhea (?) had fun shows. But there were on during the day, and they were never as obnoxious as Conan's or Jay Leno's. I tried to replace Conan with a woman host in my head and realized that maybe it would never work. That does not mean that I would never try it myself or discourage anyone who wants to attempt it.

But having a woman do such inappropriate things may be considered absolutely inappropriate and overly obnoxious. Not in a humorous way, but more of an annoying way. People may think, "Wow, she has to stop because she is too much... too annoying." Why? Because society has constructed such constraining ways that women cannot act like that? Sex is not a biological determinant of comical behavior.

One more thing: why is it that when I say light "inappropriate" things in humor, it is such a surprise? The things I may say/mention/talk about are those similar to what my guy friends may say. But what I say is sometimes a shock to both guys and girls. I am told that "I'm cool" because I sometimes act like a guy (assumed simply through my rhetoric) yet, I dress fashionably as a girl (i.e. I dress femininely). If a tomboy-type girl acts like a guy, then it's because she is "just one of the guys" or she is a lesbian. If someone sees a girl who dresses like a "girly-girl," they assume that she will act like what society deems a "girl." Stop being so surprised! Get used to it! My humor/behavior is not going to change to appropriate the way I look.

No comments: