Sunday, October 22, 2006

This is our country... sounds familiar.

While I was studying hard for a midterm exam (for a class that I really enjoy) Sunday night, I heard John Mellencamp singing his new song before the World Series Baseball game. "From the east coast to the west coast" blah blah blah "this is our country." It sounded mighty familiar. Maybe it's because it's the Chevy theme song, who by the way advertises heavily during the World Series (ah, synergy). Maybe it was because I heard it in a class I was taking (that I really enjoy), or maybe it was from something else in my memory. I felt myself changing the lyrics a little without changing the tune too much..."From the Redwood Forest to the New York Island" blah blah blah "This land was made for you and me." Strikingly similar. Two very partiot songs. I mean "This Land Is Your Land" was H.W. Bush's campaign song and Mellencamp's song has been the campaign song for Chevy trucks and Football. But hold on a second, "This Land" was written by Woody Guthrie in disgust with "God Bless America." It was also an anthem for American working class and Communist parties. The irony is amazing.

Oh yeh, I checked out the Mellencamp website and this is a quote he had to say about the song that's coming out in 2007. (If anyone hasn't heard it enough by now.)

"About a year ago, I wrote this song to tell a story about some of the challenges our country faces and how our beliefs and ideals can help us meet them. This partnership with Chevy -- an American company that is creating jobs and supporting our communities -- makes perfect sense for a song that is all about standing up for the working people who are the backbone of our nation."

I swear this is the actual quote. What's the definition of selling out again???

No comments: