Friday, September 07, 2007

Deadspin.com

One of the websites I read semi-regularly is http://www.deadspin.com/. It's a blog updated multiple times throughout the day that reports the latest updates in the world of sports, with a humorous spin. My boyfriend is a huge sports fan and forced me to read it one day, but what got me hooked is how funny the content is. You need to have at least a small amount of knowledge about sports to get a lot of the jokes (I'd say I know a fair amount for a girl, but not to any impressive extent), but if you get even some of them, it's quite entertaining.

Anyways, one thing I've noticed about this blog is that it has developed into a sort of online community. The readers, like with most blogs, have the ability to leave comments (and a lot of times the comments are even funnier than the posts themselves). I don't leave comments myself, but what I've noticed, after reading the site regularly for a long time, is that many of the same people comment every single day. They all use screen names, but many of them refer to one another by their real names, and even remember personal things about each other... they've become friends in a way. For example, after the I-35 bridge collapsed in Minnesota, there was a post about how the Twins had to cancel one of their games. In this post, many commentors were making posts calling out for other commentors, who they knew lived in or near Minneapolis, to post something so everyone knew they were okay. I thought that was neat, that even though their relationship exists solely in the comments section of a blog, they have come to care about one another.

No comments: