Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Rumors

I've heard some rumors around campus that the Leader, one of the campus newspapers here, is having some difficulty staying afloat- both financially and organizationally. They're only rumors, so if the Leader comes out with a paper tomorrow, well then I guess I'm wrong.

But, if the rumors are true, I sincerely hope that the Leader can continue to publish, even though I'm a member of the UWM Post.

Having multiple papers induces a sense of competition...something that the broadcast or online campus media outlets don't quite offer. (Ironically, as we lighlty discussed media ownership today, it came to me that competition among local newspapers is quickly fading as more and more newspapers that operate in the same market are either merging into one paper or being owned by the same company..."UWM Post-Leader?"...I hope not.)

This campus is seeing a surge in population, in recognition and even in financial contributions. Hopefully, we won't be seeing a decrease in campus media.

1 comment:

TASK MASTER said...

I know that nearing the end of last school year The Leader was dealing with difficulties in filling positions and organization. However I doubt they're actually going under.

Of course I have no idea really.