Sunday, September 23, 2007

When Bad Things Hit Home...And Your Heart

I will most likely post videos for every blog and I went back and forth in my head as to whether or not I should post this video. So, I decided to let all of you in on something personal to me. My best friend Sarah Stachula died this summer in a rollover crash on I-794 off Pennsylvania Avenue in Cudahy. The crash occured May 27 around 2:30a.m. Channel 4 had the biggest coverage of this accident and also had a camera man filming from inside his vehicle at the site shortly thereafter. It is a somewhat lengthy raw video that pans back and forth and zooms in and out several times. It is not what I would call graphic but they do film her body bag, which will never be erased from my memory. I said to myself that I would NEVER watch this but weeks later, I decided to. My purpose for posting this video is to ask all of you what you think. Though we all know the media takes whatever means necessary to do their job I found this video to be a complete invasion of privacy for Sarah's family and friends. For many of my friends that watched it, we all asked eachother, "Where is the respect?" I realized just how invading and unsympathetic the media can be in even the most tragic cases. I understand I may have a biased opinion since I had never really felt that way before but until something like this could hit so close to home, I now have mixed feelings. I have no intention of bringing a depressing, somber mood to these blogs or the class but I would like to continue to post the remaining media coverage in future blogs. Be patient. Watch the vid. Comment back. Thanks!
-Elyse

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For some reason I can't get the video to work. I can watch the ADs but not the video.... By the way, I'm sorry for your loss. It's pretty courageous of you to just put it out there for all of us so that we can think about news media in a different way.