Thursday, March 19, 2009

Obama on Leno


Tonight, President Obama will be appearing on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." Pretty much every main media news outlet is hosting a poll about whether its "OK" that Obama does the show, and the blogs are blowing up with people who strongly agree or disagree.

I am really eager to see how the President will balance talking about the current economic climate with appearing on a show traditionally geared toward making people laugh. When I first heard that he would be on the show, I felt a little uneasy. I think it's important to make politics accessible and relevant to the average person, and I think Obama has done a great job of appealing to a younger demographic. I suppose my hesitation lies in whether the President is considered a respected political figure or a celebrity. I don't deny that most of our Presidents have been both. I guess what I mean to say is that there is something inherently un-respectable about the notion of "celebrity." I mean, when I think celebrity I think "Lindsay Lohan," or "Tom Cruise."

I just hope Obama can maintain the interest of younger people normally outside the realm of politics while keeping the respect of America in a more traditional sense.

That all being said, Presidential etiquette, after all, was defined by someone at one time or another. It isn't written in stone. What was considered unthinkable to our parents is much more acceptable now. If the choice is between a President with a little extra helping of celebrity or more of the old white guy routine, then I'll take celebrity.

Check out the show tonight...

No comments: