Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Final Thoughts

Yeah I know the title is a little Jerry Springer circa 1994, but this being my 10th and therefore last class blog post, it’s that time of year again to reflect on a semester gone by…well almost.

When you really stop and think about all the stuff you learn in an entire semester, it’s mind-boggling. I mean, the first day of school you’re sitting there intently following along to the teacher reading aloud the syllabus. You have your new notebooks and laptop ready to go, and as you look around the room at people whom you (maybe) don’t know, you wonder what kind of state you’ll be in come late October when things really get rolling.

Ok, maybe that’s just me. Sorry. :-)

But seriously, I’ve done things this semester for my JMC major that last year seemed worlds away to me. For example, I’ve made a good number of print ads via Quark and Photoshop to put in my budding portfolio, I figured out what You Tube is (no, I really never heard of it before this class, thanks you) I learned how to construct a newspaper front page using InDesign, but from this class alone I’ve learned really valuable information about our media-hungry society which has helped me in other classes as well, and I’ve joined Ad Club (which people, if you are not in, you NEED to join. It will help you immensely come graduation) and I recently applied for an officer’s position.

Oh yeah. I also learned that when you work hard and are told you’re a shoo-in for the journalism department scholarship, and then do not get it…it really sucks to discover that the winner sits two seats down from you in your publication design class. (I never said this year was a cake walk.) PS he's a really nice guy too.

My point is that this year gave me a clearer picture of what the real world is like for journalism majors like me. And more importantly what I still need to do to prepare myself more. However, I think that just being in 262 we have all come away with a deeper understanding of what it takes to get noticed in media in today’s society. And isn’t that why we took this class in the first place?

Good luck with finals everyone, and see you next time!

Best,
~Kristin~

No comments: