Saturday, November 04, 2006

Thanks Borat. I totally forgot why I live in a Blue State.

I just came from seeing the new Borat movie, which was hilarious. Aside from it's obvious comedic value, the movie managed to illuminate some things about certian parts of this country that I sometimes forget. Basically, their are still a lot of racist, sexist, homophobic citizens in this country. This movie has been considered "controversial" due to its satiracal treatment of Khazikstanis, its graphic depictions of penises (gasp!), etc. but no mention of the blatent ignorance of some of the people Borat meets. For example, an old white cowboy explained to Borat how he should shave off his mustache so as not to be mistaken for a muslim, which automatically means terrosist with a "bomb strapped to his chest." And that Borat shouldn't kiss people or he'll be mistaken for a homosexual. According to said cowboy, us Americans are trying to get these "types" hung from the gallows.

Then Borat gets picked up by a winnebago filled with frat boys, who expalin to him why women are just "stupid bitches" that are only good for sex, and minorities have it better then everyone else in this country, and so slavery should be reinstated. It's not that I didn't realize this type of mentality still existed, it's just interesting to see it. These people let their guard down because they thought this was a documentary for Khazikstani TV, and instead their ignorance and racism will be in what will no doubt be a very popular American movie. So while Borat did a successful job of making me laugh, he also reminded me why I'll never live in the South and I'll never vote Republican.

No comments: