Saturday, November 11, 2006

Star Wars

Cinemax is running all six of the Star Wars movies beginning with Episode 1 and culminating with Episode 6. I saw Episode 1 when it came out in the theaters, but I didn't go to Episodes 2 or 3--I'm not always the smartest guy in the world, but in this case I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

This weekend, I gave Episode 2 a shot despite warnings from everyone whose opinion regarding film I respect. Needless to say, that was over two hours of my life I will never get back. Slamming my baby toe with the claw end of a hammer would have been a less painful experience.

I decided to skip Episode 3 and went over to my friend's house instead. It was just my luck that he had some people over and they were all watching the six episodes in order. So, I sighed and sat down.

My problem with the latter three episodes is with the characters. The "good guys" in those movies always seemed like shallow wussies to me; whereas, the "bad guys" were pretty cool. I remember, even as a little kid, wanting Darth Vader and company to kill every last one of the "good guys." Because I knew that Luke and his friends would prevail in the end, my experience watching those films always was and always will be very frustrating.

No comments: