Sunday, November 19, 2006

PS3's and other random acts of violence

So I work at a local Best Buy in the area, and because of that, I was very fortunate to witness an unusual phenomenon occur last week. I saw a line of about 100 people sitting outside lined up in front of the store on a chilly November night. Why you might ask? For the release of the Play Station 3 last Friday. Die hard gamers could line up overnight the night before the “big day” to reserve a spot for themselves in securing one of the coveted systems.

I made the venture out to work last Thursday to see some of my friends (co-workers) who were some of the winners who were freezing their asses off in line that night. When I got there a local news station was setting up to do a portion of their 10pm broadcast, interviewing some of the hopeful gamers. The people in line (God bless them, but I truly think they were all idiots) looked absolutely miserable, which made me wonder what would possess someone too waste that much time and energy for a gaming system?!

Ok, ok I know there is a lot of money to be made once people start selling their PS3’s on EBAY, but seriously! It’s a gaming-thingy people!!!! Is two grand really worth risking hypothermia and wasting about 48 hours of your life?! I don’t think so, but hey, that’s just me. Anyways, the next day when the PS3’s were actually released, I saw a news broadcast on them. The reporter said people in line were actually being tackled, trampled, and seriously injured for these systems. This is ridiculous. I understand the amount of fat cash one can make from selling these, but causing personal harm to another human being basically over the supply and demand scarcity is just stupid in my book.

I do not “hate” on any of these hard core gamers (seriously, you should see my fiancĂ© and his roommates), just find their choice and methods of purchase a little interesting to say the least. You know with all this chaos over ONE product……it’s safe to say I’m not officially concerned to be battling the mobs at work the day after Thanksgiving sales!

Happy holidays everyone. Just don’t kill yourselves (or anyone else) over a PS3 and we’ll get along fine.

No comments: