Thursday, November 16, 2006

Would the real Andy Griffith please stand up?

Again I am reminded that nothing entertains like the local news. I hope I'm not the only one who heard about the recent sasquatch or bigfoot sighting near Holy Hill. Indeed, some guy, whose job it is to clean up deer carcasses, said that some huge hairy beast jumped into the back of his pick-up and ran off with his roadkill. It's true that some tweekers out there make up stuff like this all the time, but for some reason TMJ4 decided that this story merited coverage on the ten o'clock report. The funny thing was that they didn't have anyone to interview. The lack of evidence is no surprise considering such lofty claims, but the only witness refused to be interviewed out of fear of being labeled a crazy fool. So there was this reporter out in the woods all by himself, in the dark, reporting live on an alleged bigfoot encounter. I hope the encounter really happened, but moreover, I hope TMJ4 does not consider blathering madmen and their moonshine induced hallucinations to be a reliable source for a news story.

There was also a story in the Journal Sentinel last saturday about Andy Griffith. Actually there was a story about both Andy Griffiths. Somewhere in Wisconsin, a man who was running for sheriff decided to legally change his name to Andrew Griffith. By assuming the identity of the renowned sheriff of Mayberry he had hoped to better his chances of winning the election. He lost the election and to add insult to injury he is being sued by none other than; Andy Griffith. If I was the guy being sued I wouldn't worry too much. I would just hire Ben Matlock to defend me in court. That crusty old S.O.B. never looses.

No comments: