Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Unit

I never watched any network dramas, but my new roommate watches them all the time. During this TV season I've gotten my first taste of these things and, for the most part, they have been mediocre to bad which is all I expected.

Quality wise, CBS's show The Unit is conventional and mostly boring, but something else about it caught my ear as I was doing homework while my roommate watched it this week. There were some anti-war protesters yelling at troops on a base, which I thought was weird because anti-war protesters probably wouldn't yell at the troops, their beef is more with the government. My eyes got wider when a wife of one of the guys in the unit started yelling at the protesters.

Later this lady showed up at the college where the protesters were having a meeting and started putting them down for not supporting the troops and then began referencing 9/11 to bash them for not supporting the war. I kept waiting for the other side of the argument because what this lady was saying was very easy for liberal protesters to rebut by simply asking what does Iraq have to do with 9/11?

Instead of putting up an argument, the college kids just got up and said, "uhhh, like...you should just leave..." The show made these college kids look like complete idiots who had zero answers to the lady's conservative statements because it was so obvious that she was completely right.

Then, on top of it all, the main protester guy tries to hit on this lady that he knew was married to a guy in the unit which made him look like an idiot and a total sleaze.

I couldn't believe that a script with this radically conservative of a slant to it could get produced in the "liberal dominated entertainment industry." I'm not really into politics, so I wasn't offended or anything, but, based on what I read about political views on TV, this show must be a bit of an anomaly.

No comments: