Friday, November 24, 2006

Too Young, Too Early?

I'm a little shocked at the recent release of JoJo's second album. I never heard her first one, and I won't bother.

JoJo is only 15 (will be 16 in December); that makes her a minor, and as a minor, it's illegal to have sex, do drugs, drink alcohol, etc, etc. So what the hell? Half the tracks on the CD are about having sex. Anyone see a problem with a 16 year old singing about sex? She sings about "going the distance," "some of that good ol'," "how to touch a girl," "the way you do me," and more.

My friends and I liked her first single from the CD, "Too Little, Too Late." I'll be blunt: we are all cooks at a restaurant and we sing more than anyone else we know. That song was a pretty damn good song to wail to in a hot kitchen to get the energy going. (Dance music and heavier rock work best though.)

While she has a good voice, I think either the record company or her parents screwed up on this one. People can have all the sex they want and sing about it (Snoop and Akon come to mind right away), but having a 15 year old do it is pushing it.

No comments: