Monday, February 12, 2007

Hannibal Rising

I went to see Hannibal Rising this weekend. This movie was definatly not "The best Hannibal movie since Silence of the Lambs!". In my opinion, this was the worst Hannibal movie. I went to the movie expecting to see a horror/drama movie about everyone's favorite cannibal and was left with a feeling of disappointment. Because of all the lastest standards (thanks Quenton) of horror movies being overly grotesk, I also expected this. There were some gorey parts but it was nothing compaired to Hostel or the Saw trilogy. Throughout the movie, I kept feeling that the action was about to start any minute. I guess what I am trying to say is that there was way too much story and not enough gorey. The concept on the story was gross but it just wouldn't stop and get on with the good stuff! Then I heard on the radio this morning that Hannibal Rising was #2 in sales for the weekend. I think that this was because of the fame of the first movies, they did a good job of promoting this movie, and maybe because of the Jeffrey Dahmer news story. I'm not trying to be insensitive about the Dahmer/Adam Walsh story but sometimes you have to think "Is this too convenient?" I mean what better plublicity for a cannibal movie? It could very well be a big coincidence, but as an advertising major I think that I realize just how far people will go to promote something (especially when the product SUCKS!!!)

No comments: