Wednesday, February 14, 2007

NPR: Not Just News Talk Anymore.

As most college students, I spend my evenings during the week doing homework, well most of the time. During this time I spend my time listening to the radio and studying and learning things that I need to know. Anyway, recently I became tired of listening to the commerical top 40 stations and even the independent radio station in Milwaukee. I was tired of hearing the same music and most of all the advertisements. I just found it all to be a big distraction, so I decided to see what was on the local NPR station and to my amazement I heard The Shins coming out of my radio. This had to be a mistake, a contempary band on public radio? Well then I continued to listen, and then they started playing non-mainstream Snow Patrol. This was just to much, I was hooked. Good (in my opinion) contempary music without the commercials, what could be better?
This intregment lead to me doing a little research. I decided to look up the schedule of programming for WUWM. As it turns out the radio station has this programming everynight! This program has played some of my favorite bands and also opened my eyes to some new music. For example, I first heard Willie Porter, who was recently in the Gasthouse, on the Cafe Tonight show.
If you are a student who is sick of listening to main-stream music and all the commercials that you hear, you should definately check out the Cafe Tonight and World Cafe programming on WUWM and NPR.

No comments: