Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Real Housewives of Orange County

Has anyone ever seen this show? I watched my first whole episode last week Tuesday. It is a realty television show with the same style of Laguna Beach but the stars of the reality show are older women. The women on these shows portray a life of luxury. They don’t work; they spend hundreds of dollars on clothes, make-up, plastic surgery, etc. It also focuses on them finding or keeping boyfriends and husbands who have money in order for them to keep living a life of luxury.

Honestly, when I was watching this show it was entertaining and I would watch it again just like I watch Laguna Beach or The Hill’s. But the more I think about it I wonder why shows like these are so successful. Do we as a society think it is entertaining, are we watching it to dream that we have that life, or is it that we think that these people’s lives are so ridiculous and that they don’t really have any idea of what “real life” is for people? I don’t know what the answer is but it’s interesting to think about.

Also, it is interesting to that all of these reality shows are successful even though they have the same basic storyline. It is like what we talked about in class once one type of show is successful everyone what’s to copy it because they know it will be successful.

No comments: