Thursday, March 06, 2008

Miniseries?

Whatever happened to the miniseries? I watch TV sporadically, so I don't know how many (if there are any) left. I heard about one called The Tudors on HBO, but I don't have that channel, so I don't know what that's like or if it's any good. I know there are still British mini-series, but I wouldn't know where to catch those.

I ask because I was just thinking the other day that I probably like miniseries better than full season-type series. I remember watching a few based on famous novels back in the day, and just recently I picked up on one called The Thornbirds, which is your typical forbidden love story set against the Australian Outback. (If you like that kind of stuff though, it's a great miniseries!) In middle school, we had to watch Roots, which I also liked a lot.

There are a lot of decent TV shows, and some that I really enjoyed, but I really wish there were more miniseries because they tend to be more story and character focused. Sometimes TV shows start out great, but eventually, they drag out until there's nothing left to be done. Eventually, they end up ending on a rather bland note. Obviously, some shows (like sitcoms) work better in the current format, but I don't see why some shows couldn't actually have a solid ending at some point.

No comments: