Sunday, October 28, 2007

Copy Cats!

This weekend I watched the movie Emma, which is the movie version of the novel by Jane Austen. While I was watching this movie I realized, actually my sister first pointed it out and then I realized, that there is nothing new in stories. Jane Austen wrote hundreds of years ago, and we are still telling the same stories. The movie Clueless is actually the modern day version of Emma and Bridget Jones’ Diary is the modern day version of Pride and Prejudice.
Clueless used the same type of characters, right down to names, like Elton, and hair color, Ms. Smith’s signature red hair, to describe the main characters. Granted Clueless was never considered to be an epic film, but I still feel a little cheated. In our age of immense technological advance we cannot even come up with a new take on a love story. Worse than unoriginality is the fact that the modern day versions are not any more entertaining than the original stories. At least the original stories used beautiful language.
Don’t get me wrong I love the humor of Bridget Jones’ Diary, but do you think that Jane Austen would have wanted her masterpiece to be reduced to a bunch of sexual innuendos and tiny skirts?

No comments: