Friday, November 16, 2007

COURIC TRYING TO STAY RELEVANT?

Like many people across the country whenever I have free time, I tend to get lost on various video websites, including YouTube. I recently came across a video that I found was related to our class in a variety of ways.

Earlier this year, a video surfaced showing Dan Rather, the former CBS Evening News achor complaining about the various ways he could wear his coat before a video segment on location. This viral video was parodied and mocked all over the internet. Rather's sucessor, Katie Couric is now featured in a video mocking him. Tension between Rather and Couric is well-doucmented and this video makes that even funnier.

On the surface, this video is pretty entertaing. Couric's behavior shows her in a new light as a pretty funny person. One thing disturbed me though.

COURIC KEPT CALLING PEOPLE "DUDE" and "BRO!" ....SERIOUSLY

Katie Couric could be my mom. I found this behavior very depressing. I brought up in class the fact that I find it weird when my own father says "dude," and when my mom text messages me.

Personally, this video took my amusement with older people trying to sound young to a whole new level. Overall, I think Couric's choice of slang was more entertaining than her mocery of Dan Rather.

Maybe it's just me, but one could argue that Couric's word choice could be a subconscious attempt to stay relevant as she gets older.

I hope this is as amusing to you, as it was to me.

COURIC MOCKING DAN RATHER

No comments: