Monday, February 23, 2009

Accepting in the Afterlife


So one of Hollywood's biggest events just happened yesterday, The Academy Awards. I decided to watch a bit of the red carpet, and then I tuned in just as they were doing the awards for best supporting actor. The nominees were Josh Brolin, Robert Downey Jr., Philip Seymour Hoffman, Heath Ledger, and Michael Shannon. And just as I had thought, the winner was Heath Ledger. Now don't get me wrong, I think he did a great job as the Joker in The Dark Knight, but I don't exactly think it's fair he was nominated, or won. I know this sounds mean, but I think a lot of people only saw the movie because it was the last one he filmed before he died, and I think a lot of people voted for him because of that. Not only that, but I think Hollywood has a tendency to make a bigger deal out of celebrities after they die, especially when someone dies from drug abuse. It's almost as if it makes them more iconic. Look at Jim Morrison, Marilyn Monroe, and Anna Nicole Smith. Although they were famous before they passed, it's as if their deaths have immortalized them and we look at them as more intriguing because of it. I think the same holds true with Heath Ledger. Before he died, he was barely talked about, or celebrated for his contributions in the acting world. Besides the Dark Knight, I can only remember him from A Knight's Tale, all the way back in 2001. Even though I don't agree with it, Heath Ledger now has an Oscar, and I'm sure it won't be the last time we honor someone not because of their talents, but because of a tragedy they were a part of. Sad, but true.

No comments: