Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Coraline- For an older crowd...



On Sunday, I went with my mom, aunt, and cousin to see the new Tim Burton 3-D movie Coraline, and overall, I'd say it was a pretty good movie.

The movie is based on the book Coraline written by Neil Gaiman. It's a story about a young girl who moves with her parents into a big house called The Pink Palace with strange neighbors. After moving in, her parents are so busy that she has to find ways to entertain herself. She ends up meeting a boy called Wybie and his black cat. After meeting him, he gives her a doll that looks exactly like her. After she falls asleep that night, she is awakened by mice who lead her to a door in the wall. After she opens and goes through the door, she is taken into a world just like hers, only with parents who pay attention to her and neighbors who aren't crazy. Although it seems great at first, the other world turns out to be a nightmare, with her "other" mother trying to capture her and make her stay there forever.


Although I thought the movie was really good, I definitely thought it was geared more towards young adults. The movie is rated PG, but I think it should really be rated PG-13. The movie is quite hard to understand, having some depth and requiring you to think a little bit. I also thought some parts were a little too provocative for young kids. Besides the scarier images and some adult language, there's this one scene where Coraline's elderly neighbor appears wearing a g-string and pasties. Pasties on a 72-year old cartoon with size double-G breasts? Really?I was actually pretty shocked, and even saw some parents covering their children's eyes. I mean, the scene was completely inappropriate, not to mention it added nothing to the scene and had no relevance in the movie whatsoever.

Like I said, I thought the movie was really good and it definitely sparked my attention, but I would think twice before taking children under the age of 12 to it. And I'm certainly glad I saw the 2-D version, because I don't how I would have dealt with those pasties in 3-D. EW.




No comments: