Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Pepsi Superbowl Ad



In class we saw the above video, and since I never really watch the Superbowl, this was the first time I had seen the Pepsi advertisement. The last comment made in class was about whether a company addresses its audience as a person or as a consumer (I'm not sure of the exact wording, but I'll elaborate on what I mean).

In this ad we are encouraged to create a mental tie between being a forward-thinking young person and drinking Pepsi. Pepsi is making a direct attempt to wedge itself between the American social advancements made between the mid 20th century and today. In this way, they are speaking to the viewer less as a consumer and more as a regular member of the modern generation.

I have mixed views on this ad, because it seems a little bit irresponsible for the Pepsi company to link civil rights advancement, for example, with a product that has nothing to do with it. On the other hand, I definitely had a 'we've come so far' moment when I watched it. I can just imagine the Pepsi ad execs smiling to themselves as I wipe a tear from my eye. Okay maybe that's going too far, but you get the point.

Here's my consensus: if a company is willing applaud the fact that rap is just as legitimate as classic rock and women are physically capable of boxing and joining the armed forces, then I'll buy their product over others who don't do this.

No comments: