Friday, February 29, 2008

Cloverfield = making fun of 9/11???

Well I was waking up this morning and was checking the news before I had to leave. I saw a story on the Foxnews website that is titled "'Cloverfield':Horror Film Not Sensitive About 9/11". Well... I saw the movie back when it first came out, and I thought it was a pretty good movie. Compared to all the other things I've seen as of recently, this movie was easily the best. I thought the first person camera style was pretty awesome and impressive. Anyway... the story is trying to say that the buildings were exploding in a way similar to 9/11. It really seems like BS... In the story, the author says "but Cloverfield also inadvertently disses New York for what happened on Sept. 11, 2001, by re-enacting scenes of buildings exploding and massive clouds of debris for fun and profit." Perhaps "fun" is the wrong word to use there. The movie has very little "fun" in it.

The story is about a monster running wild around New York City, causing havok for the citizens. Hell, the movie has set a record for a January release date. It is pretty impressive to top that record. I don't think that the movie was "making fun of" the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Comparing how a building falls in a movie to a real event is just silly. The author of the original article states that the "World Trade Center-like structure exploding and collapsing downward, sending off a cloud (of debris)" is supposed to be a mockery. I'm not an engineer or anything, but I doubt that buildings fall that much differently when hit by a stray missle from the military. Either way there is gonna be debris...

No comments: