Friday, February 15, 2008

The Curse of Lifetime

This week, my media exposure consisted of things that I didn't really want to watch, but ended up finishing because I just had to see the ending. And no channel has perfected that formula better than Lifetime ("Television for Women"). Somehow, certain Lifetime original movies have this way of making you stay on the couch to finish them, regardless of how cheesy/bad/whathaveyou they are. What's worse is that more than half of the time, the ending is never satisfying. Even with the knowledge that the movie will be predictable and the ending will be terrible, I still fall into the trap every now and again.

Okay, to be fair, the Lifetime originals aren't always that bad, but it's not like I'm counting the minutes to see Always Say Goodbye or A Lover's Revenge (I haven't seen either one). I'm just always surprised by how "addictive" they can be. I've overheard both girls and guys talking about how they got stuck on a Lifetime movie. My friends will casually admit to it once in a while. But everyone who has watched one never talks about it. You're not going to hear anyone conversing about how awesome that Lifetime orginal was last night, and I've never heard anyone admit to it as their guilty pleasure.

So, there's always stuff that we get stuck watching even though we didn't want to or plan to, be it reality tv or the stuff on the food network. But sometimes I think Lifetime is in a league of its own.

No comments: