Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Internet

We talked an aweful lot about the internet today in class. We talked about how its changing, how corporations are fighting to control it and how people like us enjoy it the way it is currently, as well as a lot of interesting and different things about the internet in general. So it got me thinking about Internet Service Providers a little bit. I was wondering if there is even a market out there anymore for Dial-up internet. I'm talking about companies like AOL and Netscape and PeoplePC. Do they consistently get customers? Is Dial-up internet dying out completely as we know it? What are these companies doing to stay competitive with Roadrunner, AT&T, Yahoo, or are they not staying competitive?

I do know that from my personal experience I will never go back up to dialup internet. I remember those days sitting there watching my computer screen as the computer tried to connect to AOL. It was always heartbreaking for me if it got all the way through all the steps and just decided not to finally connect. IT SUCKED!! It is just way too slow and you just end up getting frustrated with your computer and want to throw it out of the nearest window. I'm also wondering if there are some people out there that are too set in their ways to free themselves from the restrictions of Dial-up internet. I mean everyone knows that it is painstakingly slow and you can't do as much as you can with high speed internet. Those are just some of the questions I was wondering about and thought of in class today.

No comments: