Thursday, February 07, 2008

Snow Coverage on TV

I'm not sure how many people happened to flip on the TV yesterday when we didn't have school, but it was insane how much snow coverage was on Milwaukee's NBC channel, TMJ4. When I got up Wednesday morning I checked the school closings at the bottom of the screen around 5:15 a.m. in hopes that UWM would be one of the schools cancelling class for the day. It turned out, around 6:25 a.m. was when UWM decided that the roads and travel conditions were only going to get worse and that closing school for the day was the safest option.

This blog entry of mine is about how much snow coverage is actually necessary when a winter storm, like the one we got yesterday, actually hits. TMJ4 had people out and about in Southeastern Wisconsin keeping its viewers up to date on how much snow had fallen, how the road conditions were, when to expect the heaviest snow bands to hit, and what schools and businesses decided to shut down for the day. This was all fine and dandy and frankly good information to know, but they made sure to tell their viewers every 10 minutes it seemed like. I mean honestly, if its steadily snowing outside at 11:00 am and we are in the midst of the biggest winter storm of the season, is the snow going to suddenly stop falling ten minutes later? I don't think so. TMJ4 weather analysts dedicated their entire day on TV to talk about the same repetitive and redundant things.

I guess my big beef with snow coverage in Wisconsin is that sometimes TV stations go overboard with it. I mean everyone in this state expects it to snow during the Wintertime. It happens every year. I don't think we need to be updated every 10 minutes on how the snow is falling and what direction the wind is blowing. Every hour is fine. But every 10 minutes is annoying. I guess I could have turned the TV off or to another channel, but it was more entertaining for me to make fun of the anchors that said the same exact things over and over again.

They also had their weather crew stationed in different areas like, Whitefish Bay, Wauwatosa, Port Washington, Capitol Drive, etc... And they all seemed to convey that it was snowing. NO EFFIN WAY@!@@@! I just wanted them to break away for one second and talk about something else going on in the world like the results of Super Tuesday, or the fact the Shaquille O'Neal got traded.

Some things in this world are a little more important to cover on tv than a foot of snow.

No comments: