Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fashion Police (Media's right)

There is a show called fashion police which talks about celebrities' fashion style. It is usually on after any awards program. They pick few best dressers and worst dressers to discuss about them. I was watching it after the Grammy Awards, and I reconsidered about media's rights to make judgement on people's privacy. The funny thing that I found about this show is that they harm one's reputation when he/she seemed dressed trashy. Furthermore, they really makes those celebrities feel ashamed of their styles. So I thought of few questions in my mind, Why do they care about their fashion? Are their standard of fashion is the one we all should care about? This show talks about how to dress nice, seasonal trends, and what looks good and what looks bad. I don't know how they are professional about the fashion, but what I have observed from this show is that they are using agenda setting for the public's interest. It does not tell us what to think, but it certainly tells us what to think about.
However, as we all know that media should serve the public's interest. This show entertains us in a way because we all know that it is always fun to know about celebrities' privacy. But the media and paparazzi go beyond the celebrities' libel, and they create defamation on their images. I know it depends on your willingness to focus on those news, but what I am interested in are how far the media can focus on celebrity's life? Are they serving the public’s interest? and Should we listen to their advice? or Should we just ignore?

No comments: