Friday, February 22, 2008

Computer/Entertainment Industry

I got into a conversation with someone about the state of things with computer companies like Apple, Microsoft, and now Adobe (company behind Photoshop). Adobe just bought out a company called Macromedia, which used to own Flash and Dreamweaver (used to develop web sites). He was explaining that this purchase allowed Adobe to call the shots on prices, and that's why their prices for their suites have gone up. Like Apple trying to corner the market in music software, Adobe is trying to grab hold of the web development market. What happened with the movie, TV, and music industries is happening again in the computer/technology industry.

I'm not so vehemently against corporations that I want to go protest against them and tear down their establishments. Even though I don't agree that these companies should be able to corner markets and call all the shots, all have, at one point or another, made great strides and improved the quality of software (etc.)

However, (and I think we talked about this in class) the difference between the computer industry and entertainment industry is that there are far more alternatives available. I don't know if anyone's heard of Linux (it's an operating system like Windows or Leopard). I was totally surprised to hear that Ubuntu, a version of Linux, has been replacing Windows in tons of countries. Not surprised to hear it was doing well, but surprised that there is a free, streamlined operating system that I've heard nothing about in the U.S. (well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised).

Of course there's Youtube, which allows you to broadcast yourself for free. Then there are also open source (free) programs for things like Desktop Publishing. (If you haven't already tried it and are in need of a free Word/typing program, try OpenOffice).

I guess the problem many including myself have had with the entertainment industry is the real lack of options and how separate the media can be from the average person. Even with similar problems occurring now in the comp industry, I think there will always be more alternatives and choices...you just have to look for them.

No comments: